Thom Rainer has a really helpful article about the Penn State scandal. He speaks what should be common sense:
It is inconceivable to me that someone could witness sexual abuse and then simply report it and leave it to their supervisors. The right response is to intervene by force at the moment, and with the police immediately thereafter.
The rest of this article has some practical advice for churches to help them protect children against predators:
1. Conduct a background check on every current and future worker.
2. Implement a 6 months/2 people rule.
3. Conduct regular mandatory staff and volunteer training.
4. Require all volunteers to submit an application to serve.
5. Pray for your workers. Pray for your children.
Read the rest here.