1. Poor execution. In the first qaurter, the LSU offense got into the red zone twice, but failed to make touchdowns. Instead of 14 points, they settled for 6. National championship teams should be able to close that deal by this point in the season. LSU didn’t.
2. Idiotic play-calling. Bad play-calls at critical times have bedeviled the Tigers for too long. Just one example should suffice. LSU had a chance to win with their defense tonight in the first overtime. It was 4th and 10, and Arkansas was obviously going to throw. You would expect that the coaches would either put a lot of pressure on the quarterback or that they would have everyone in coverage. But no. Instead they decided to put no pressure on the quarterback and had a total breakdown in the secondary. Unbelievable.
3. Championship Caliber. LSU has been winning some squeakers lately. A few of the games they won, they just barely won. Coming into this game, they did not look like what a national championship team should be looking like at this point in the season. I think they would have had a tough time winning the whole enchilada even if they had beat the Hogs tonight.
4. Link to the Dallas Cowboys. Up until tonight, my theory has been that the fortunes of the LSU Tigers have been mystically linked to the Dallas Cowboys. (No, I’m not superstititious. This is just for fun.) LSU and the Cowboys had a Bye in their schedule on the same weekend, October 27 and 28. The Tigers and the Cowboys were undefeated until the weekend of October 13. The Tigers lost to Kentucky, and the Cowboys lost to the Pats. When the Cowboys blew out the Jets yesterday, I was hopeful that it was a portent of good things to come for the Tigers. So much for that theory! 🙂
5. Les Miles. I think that sorry sucker is going to Michigan. Think he took his eye off the ball?
Okay, enough for now. I need to go sulk some more.
P. S. Jim, please save all gloating and “sooey, pigs” remarks for your own blog. We don’t need any of that here.
P. P. S. On second thought, we don’t need it on your blog either.