1. LSU deserves to be the undisputed national champions, despite their two losses this season. LSU’s two losses were both in triple overtime, and they both occurred when LSU was pretty banged up from its grueling SEC schedule. Another way to look at it is that LSU went undefeated in regulation. LSU convincingly defeated the number one team in the nation tonight. They deserve this championship without any jawing dissents from the USC-loving media. For more on this, read Ray Glier’s argument on MSNBC.com.
2. The post-game analysts are already suggesting that USC could make a case that they are the best team in the nation. The guys talking this nonsense need to remember that USC is also a two-loss school, but one of their losses was to Stanford. Stanford was unranked, and USC was favored to beat them by forty points. USC also plays in the Pac-10, which is a much weaker conference than the SEC. At the end of the day, LSU’s body of work is much more impressive than USC’s.
3. The SEC is the best conference in college football. Tonight’s victory marks the second championship in two years for the SEC. The SEC had more teams playing in bowls this season than any of the other conferences (9 teams in all). The SEC won 7 of its bowl games and only lost 2. The SEC is now 4-0 in BCS title games (Tennessee in ’98, LSU in ’03, Florida in ’07, and LSU in ’08). Pound for pound, no other conference is as tough as the SEC.
4. Congratulations to Ohio State on a great season and a great game. They return almost all their starters next year, and they will be a force to be reckoned with.
5. Laissez les bon temps roulette!