I don’t know about you, but the second teaser for the new Star Wars movie got me all verklempt. No kidding. Or maybe it was just something in my eye. Whatever it was, the appearance of Han Solo and Chewey was the coup de grâce.
J. J. Abrams is speaking the superfan’s love language. This is an absolutely brilliant preview. It conjures all the feelings of my childhood while pulling my interest forward into new storylines. It is everything you’d want out of a trailer. In fact, these first two trailers are already better than all three of the prequels. They have exorcised my Jar Jar Binks demons. The force is strong in Abrams.
I know I’m not the only one eagerly anticipating Episode VII. December 18 can’t get here soon enough. So while we wait, here are my top 10 favorite things about this new teaser trailer:
10. Vader’s melted helmet among the imperial ruins.
9. Pilot “yahoo-ing” like I would if I could fly an X-wing fighter.
8. Han Solo and Chewey.
7. Epic cinematic vistas epitomized by crashed Star Destroyer.
6. No Padmé/Anakin puppy-love and no Jar Jar.
5. Cool hand Luke reaching out to R2.
4. Han Solo and Chewey.
3. The old John Williams theme music.
2. The Millennium Falcon. Enough said.
1. Han Solo and Chewey… they’re home.